[FRIAM] The trouble with physicists

Robert Holmes robert at holmesacosta.com
Sun May 22 10:56:54 GMT+4 2005

These posts that Sven forwarded to me are terrific. All about what happens
when physicists decide to colonize another academic field they know nothing
about. The seven-step description in the the second link resonates
particularly.

http://crookedtimber.org/2005/05/19/isolated-social-networkers/

http://www.cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/weblog/347.html

Also, you have to love an article (link #2 above, written by a physicist)
that includes lines like "...our tendency to hallucinate power laws is a
disgrace" complete with a link to tons of exaples of the same.

robert
(BA Physics)