[FRIAM] Whitespace

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Mon Sep 11 13:05:34 EDT 2006

Wow, I LOVE this!  I know Ken from Sun days and he's one of those
refreshing thinkers.

We (our multimedia team at Sun) attempted a nifty stunt briefly for a
large C++ project:  At SCCS/CVS/SVN "check-in" run the code through a
pretty printer using a common format.  It also allowed folks to
format in their own style, but the "official" version had a base format.

BTW: This was one of my main concerns with python: it cannot be
pretty-printed, at least at the block level.  There is no "format"
key in the IDEs.  Shutter!  Interestingly enough, btw, some folks
feel that python *does* just what Ken suggests...it produces errors
if you badly indent!!

     -- Owen

Owen Densmore   http://backspaces.net