[FRIAM] Is mathematical pattern the theory of everything?

Carl Tollander carl at plektyx.com
Sun Nov 25 01:12:03 EST 2007

Some are sympathetic but have reservations.
Sabine  Hossenfelder:
http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2007/11/theoretically-simple-exception-of.html
and
Christine Dantas:
http://egregium.wordpress.com/2007/11/10/physics-needs-independent-thinkers/
and
Peter Woit:  http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=617
and
John Baez: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/week253.html
and
Steinn Sigurðsson:
http://scienceblogs.com/catdynamics/2007/11/overly_simple_theory_of_someth.php

Some of the sharp-elbow folks have stronger reservations.
Lubos Motl:
http://motls.blogspot.com/2007/11/exceptionally-simple-theory-of.html
and
Jacques Distler:
http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/~distler/blog/archives/001505.html

One of the more sympathetic people is actually Garrett Lisi:
http://deferentialgeometry.org/
You can see a talk here: http://relativity.phys.lsu.edu/ilqgs/  (look at
Tues, Nov 13th).

I currently find Sabine's oft-referenced discussion the most accessible,
which is not to say that I necessarily understand it all.
Next try: Steinn Sigurðsson's post which purports to give a simple
description of Garrett's argument and some problems with it.

Caveat: I have not read Lisi's paper and have not formed my own opinion
of it yet.  These links are just pointers to discussions.

Time to dig out Georgi's book on Lie Algebras, like I didn't have
anything else to think about....
Carl