[FRIAM] New Topic: Science-based Fundamentalism

Douglas Roberts doug at parrot-farm.net
Sun Nov 2 11:39:05 EST 2008

Very well said, Owen.

;-}

As the "assumer" who suggested that you had an unBubba-fied background, I
submit my heartfelt apologies.

Now, back to your original question: "Why is this race so close?", my
opinion is that religion is the major factor.  And yes, I correlate religion
with a lack of intelligence.  IMO, either less intelligent people are
attracted to fundamentalist-style religion, or religion makes smart people
stupid.  Don't know which it is; don't care -- the effect is the same.

Consider this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/28/palin-claimed-dinosaurs-a_n_130012.html

*Soon after Sarah Palin was elected mayor of the foothill town of Wasilla,
Alaska, she startled a local music teacher by insisting in casual
conversation that men and dinosaurs coexisted on an Earth created 6,000
years ago -- about 65 million years after scientists say most dinosaurs
became extinct -- the teacher said.
*

I truly believe that the Republicans among us are attracted to this
Fundamentalist "Christian" orientation.  It is the Republican party that has
traditionally courted the conservative Christian component of our society,
and this is why I believe the race is as close as it is.  In suggesting
this, I am disagreeing with Steve's assessment that only 50% of the Red
voters are voting Red for religious/racist reasons, I suspect  that it is a
much higher percentage who are motivated to vote against a black Democrat
for these reasons.

I do agree with something that Roger said earlier -- that there really isn't
much difference (effectively) between between the two parties.  The
political system is large, inefficient, and hugely susceptible to
corruption.  I fully expect that if Obama wins, four (or eight) years latter
we will find ourselves disgusted with the corrupt, inefficient, back-biting
Democratic party.  I myself am an Independent, I do not believe that the
two-party system serves our best interests.

Since Owen has proposed a study in this general topic area, I'd like to add
my own suggestion for a research topic:  what percentage of the US
population is motivated to vote for the reasons demonstrated by this crowd:

http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/mccainpalin-supporters-let-their-rac

and why has our society tolerated and fostered their belief set?

--Doug