[FRIAM] Can Developers be (Rock)stars?

Jochen Fromm jfromm at t-online.de
Sun Aug 8 14:39:35 EDT 2010

People think that Zuckerberg gives them the ability to become
popular, to contact the rich and famous, to see what their
'friends' are doing.. What Facebook actually does is to take
away the privacy and the private data of the users.
And Zuckerberg is only the actor who represents the
company. Facebook has over 500 developers who
are working on the code. Sometimes a thing is attributed
to a single person although it has been done by a whole
group (a kind of attribution error ?).

Wernher von Braun for instance is sometimes called
"the greatest rocket scientist". Although he made some
suggestions for the design of the Saturn V rocket, the
rocket itself and its modules were built by at least
four big companies: The Lunar Module was built by
Grumman, the Command Module by North American
Aviation, the Saturn V rocket itself was produced by
Boeing (1st stage), North American Aviation
(2nd stage, 3rd stage), and IBM was the main
contractor for the computers.

Facebook has not even an own data center, which means
they use contractors to store all the personal data. And maybe
they would not need a data center at all. You mentioned Shawn
Fanning: Zuckerberg has apparently not understood the power
of P2P. I think the fundamental architecture of Facebook
is wrong, it should be more like Shawn Fanning's
Napster, Bram Cohen's BitTorrent. Like a P2P system.

-J.