[FRIAM] Gates discussing new nuclear reactor with China - Yahoo! News

Carl Tollander carl at plektyx.com
Thu Dec 8 00:08:24 EST 2011

More here:   http://bravenewclimate.com/2010/09/22/twr-vs-ifr   There
appears to be some sentiment that Gate's TWR is not as good as the IFR
designs.   I don't know enough to judge.

Also, Monbiot has a new screed out on GE-Hitachi's proposal for an IFR:
"...last week GE Hitachi (GEH) told the British government that it could
build a fast reactor within five years to use up the waste plutonium at
Sellafield, and if it doesn't work, the UK won't have to pay."  You can
raise your personal BP by reading about it here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/dec/05/sellafield-nuclear-energy-solution
A somewhat more bloodless description of the project is here:
http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/WR-Prism_proposed_for_UK_plutonium_disposal-0112114.html

Now, you may not believe that the design can work, but if it works as
they say, the "getting the uranium out of the ground" part would be
marginal.   On the surface, it sounds better than MOX, I suppose, which
is what the UK says they'll do if they don't do this.   And "if it
doesn't work, the UK won't have to pay" is not necessarily the same as
"free", but it's in the ballpark.

As to safer, Gen IV reactors are indeed "safer", but only under current
definitions of "safe".  Just about anything is safer than coal, so
that's not saying much.