[FRIAM] Explainer: understanding Sopa | World news | guardian.co.uk

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Fri Dec 23 17:44:45 EST 2011

I'd love to see us roll out our own internet via mesh networks, phones,
wifi community networks and all the rest.

It could be done.  Its how it started .. DEC, PARC, and others had their
own protocols built on top of physical layer nets, mainly ethernet.  Intel
got involved and the three of them built the first 1MB standardized
ethernet, and worked with NSF to build standard protocols on top of the
dirt cheap (Intel's chip) hardware.

There has been a HUGE spurt in wifi WAN networks.  Cybermesa is rolling one
out for Santa Fe using brilliant new antennas with mesh networking, all
based on cellular technology.

Think big.  We really can take back the network.  Occupy The Net!

   -- Owen