[FRIAM] Deriving quantum theory from information processing axioms

Grant Holland grant.holland.sf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 14:33:15 EDT 2011

Russ,

I had the same feeling about my recent missive - entitled "Uncertainty
vs Information - redux and resolution" - in which I too make various
claims about information theory. I believe I had only one response -
from Eric. I expected more, maybe from Owen and Frank and yourself.

The APS Physics review you attached discussed an Italian paper from the
U of Pavia. About that paper the review says "They show that by making
six fundamental assumptions about how information is processed, they can
derive quantum theory."  Understandably, such a view is likely to be
sacrosanct among many.

I must confess however that I have considerable sympathy with it. In my
recent posting on /Uncertainty and Information/, I cited the Oxford Info
Theorist Vlatko Vedral.  In his book _Decoding Reality: The Universe as
Quantum Information_, he states:

"This book will state that information (and not matter or energy or
love) is the building block on which everything is constructed.
Information is far more fundamental than matter or energy because it can
be successfully applied to both macroscopic interactions, such as
economic and social phenomena, and, as I will argue, information can
also be used to explain the origin and behavior of microscopic
interactions such as energy and matter."

Evidently, there is a body of information theorist out there who are
making a play for the proposition that  Information Theory is more
fundamental than physics.

Of course, my recent posting argues that uncertainty is more
foundational then information (even though, according to Shannon,
entropy measures them both). This is because, as argued by Khinchin,
information derives from uncertainty through realization.

Maybe together we can get a thread started about the primacy of physics,
information or uncertainty - or maybe something else? Oh, yeah, there is
already one going about the primacy of physics vs philosophy. Maybe we
can add information and uncertainty to the mix!