[FRIAM] Fwd: 'We Are the 99 Percent' Creators Revealed

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Oct 18 21:04:37 EDT 2011

There was an IARPA call (BAA11-11) that a group of us came close to
sending in a proposal on... it nominally asked for a demonstration of an
open-source data mining system that could predict such events as the
Arab Spring.    The test region is to be South America with the
system(s) in a bake-off going live about 1 year from now (Oct 11).

Here is a sort of lame description that came out very recently from the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/11/science/11predict.html?_r=1

I don't disagree with the idea that the socio-political space of
interest has nonlinear structures/processes in it (Paul's assertion of
Complexity and Emergence).   At best, in such a system, I think one
could only hope to predict the general boundaries of basins of
attraction and/or orbits or "phase changes" (in a different vernacular).

I agree with Nick that an overtly political discussion on this list
might be unwelcome, but I hope there is plenty of room to discuss the
*structure* and nature of the events that have been going on around the
world of late.

Here is an article referencing the Fruit Vendor in question:

    http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-16/world/tunisia.fruit.seller.bouazizi_1_tunisian-history-street-vendor-police-officer?_s=PM:WORLD

One could also assert that emergence and complexity were key to WWI as
well.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_World_War_I