[FRIAM] Fwd: The disappearing virtual library - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

Paul Kruchoski paul.kruchoski at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 06:30:58 EDT 2012

I'll preface my laundry list of links here by saying that I'm working on a
book about how technology can dramatically bring down the costs of
education -- if we only let it do so.

There's a lot of government investment in free/open educational materials
-- both textbooks and curricula sets.  See here:

https://sites.google.com/a/sbctc.edu/opencourselibrary/

The second is particularly exciting.  In a phone call with the WOCL team,
they estimated that the single most-used open textbook that they're funding
could save students upwards of $10 million over a two year span -- in
Washington State alone.

Here are a few OER platforms, for what it's worth:
http://cnx.org/
http://www.oercommons.org/

I even did a little bit of work with Nature Publishing, who really
understood that they needed to think about how to use and generate open
educational materials.  Their platform is here:

http://www.nature.com/scitable

And while we haven't gotten to a free accredited degree, Western Governors
University (WGU) is getting pretty close.  I talked to a graduate last week
who paid a total of $4000 for his bachelors degree.  It's pretty amazing.

Paul

--
Paul Kruchoski
@Kruchoski | 505.720.5260 | Schedule <http://doodle.com/kruchoski>