[FRIAM] How to install Windows on an external drive | TechConnect

Russell Standish lists at hpcoders.com.au
Mon Apr 3 20:50:34 EDT 2017

For Linux, VirtualBox works a treat. I would say Windows 10 works better on
Virtual Box than on real hardware, at least according to people I know
who do the latter.

NB Windows 10 has some known DHCP issues. I generally just end up
configuring a manual IP on a private network or a NAT just to get
around connectivity problems. But such things are almost trivially
easy to do on the fly with Virtual Box.

Cheers

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 04:02:54PM +0000, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> USB 3.1 is really annoying in some ways.  For large drives with USB C connectors, adapter cables don’t work, and even those USB 3.1 host adapters (PCI cards) may not work if they have USB-A outputs instead of USB-C.   New laptops that have USB-C natively should be ok, and when it works it is fast and quite slick.
>
> If the only goal is to have Windows as an option, I suggest one of the virtualization packages.  For Macs, VMware Fusion is about perfect.

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au