[FRIAM] the arc of socioeconomics, personal and public: was VPN server

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 14:11:04 EDT 2017

Interesting.  So, just to repeat back, to see if I understand.  Steve wondered if there were (a good) model of the evolution of individuals in political state space.  I responded that there are lots of (bad) models.  But the more important point is _why_ model that evolution (including models of the individuals)?  Steve responded that such models might help first comprehend, then manipulate.  Then I responded that to make such comprehension and manpulation ethical, the models and manipulations must be transparent.

With this post, you're suggesting a specific mechanism of one such model, I presume because you think this mechanism will make the model better ... more comprehensive.  And that mechanism is:

• 2 behavior modes, the choice of which depends on whether an agent senses its being watched
• part of the "while they're watching" mode is to construct and express a complicated mapping between the two modes
• that mapping must hide the modality of the behaviors, perhaps only to a 1st order analysis
• that mapping relies on a set of symbols that are ambiguous (multiple meanings)

Then you go a couple of steps further and suggest that, given some objective towards which the collective works, such mappings make reaching the objective more difficult, inefficient, or completely impossible.  Without the mappings, the objective is more easily reached.

Is my repitition adequate?  Or did I miss an important part of your suggestion?

--
☣ glen