[FRIAM] the arc of socioeconomics, personal and public: was VPN server

Vladimyr vburach at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 21 21:40:05 EDT 2017

Glen, making you nauseous was not my intention.
So some models use Rigid Metrics
others seem to be    Pattern Comparisons
and then there are   Neural Models

I have  been labouring for some time on another which was once thought by myself to be
a machine motion algorithm but when graphically displayed looked extraordinarily like a sea creature.
So some appeared to have petal structures so I applied some desperate measures and named them in my mind
as belonging to a class of creatures having a integer number of petals.0.. 48 before the computer balked in protest.
These were in every case peculiar rectangular matrices, having some properties of networks. So applying colors only
to edges produced some spectacular transformations not imagined in 2D spreadsheets.
I constructed a hallucination and named it a Mental Model. By Jacking it up to 4D since now it grows, these phantoms
plague my sleep and friendships. I am converting them to 3D .obj files and intend to print one when it is not writhing before my eyes.

The printer imposes dimensions for the first time due to the containment box, design envelope. This is a trivial Scaling Problem, so it seems.

Once many years ago I designed boats and started with Half Models in basswood. Then lifted (lofted) the lines to paper so it would
fit in my shop and out the doors. So those models existed in my mind before any sawdust fell to the floor.
I tried to teach this approach with mixed success. Students thought I had plans secreted away, I did read many but rarely used them.

I think the act of carving the little half models was a procedure familiar to sculptors Where the artist's intentions shape the medium and
he is guided by heuristics back checking reality with mental imagery until satisfied. Much later does the Lufkin tape Measure show up.
In my case a  Digital Caliper. Indeed I cheated often, first surface mirrors and black glue lines that served as grid lines and more.

But measurement was not as important as students imagined. It was my assumption it would fall into place of its own accord.
Scale and proportion might be aesthetics but seem very powerful early on.

My daughter hated writing because she obsessed over page margins and font sizes and type.
I suggested blank paper and a pencil and was accused of being insensitive.
My own son always wanted to build things but I always demanded a sketch first, he never complied so he now sells things made by others.

By the time I finished a little wooden half model of a boat the bulk of design work was over and only then did my crew go to work.
So where was the Model that drove all this effort,,,

I gather you are suggesting that we get used to specifying the type of Model with a prefix, not a bad idea, just imagine the chaos if we only
used the term Ball to describe all sports.
vib