[FRIAM] the arc of socioeconomics, personal and public: was VPN server

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sun Apr 23 12:14:20 EDT 2017

Heh, it amuses and frustrates me the pressure to publish when one could instead do something useful like develop and share code.   Those "mental models" scribbled down on paper obviously have less value than tools to solve the general problem (i.e. working through all the boring but necessary cases to make it all computable), both as formalisms and from a utilitarian point of view.   Nonetheless, I hear all the time from theory types that they "have it in their head and just have to write it down".    Some of them I believe.  Others are just involved in collective performance art in the hopes of pushing their citation count higher.  Hmm, I seem to be down on academics today.