[FRIAM] the arc of socioeconomics, personal and public: was VPN server

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 15:06:50 EDT 2017

Hmmmmm..... while I don't disagree with Nick, I also don't think he
answered the question. It might well be that when we ask what a thinking
man is doing in any particular instance, we are missing the point. And yet,
as the man sits for longer and longer in his thoughts, that argument seems
itself to have become more remote with regards to our concerns. Further, it
seems empirically true that the man who gets up from thinking is sometimes
different than the man who sat down to begin his pondering. What is THAT
about?

There is not a good answer to this question. I wrote a chapter with British
experimental psychologists Andrew Wilson and Sabrina Golonka about the
problem recently, in a collected volume on American Philosophy and the
Brain. We lamented the lack of a good language with which to talk about
what the brain does, arguing that cognitive-psychology speak is inadequate
and was holding back the field. (Nothing too novel in that.) We also made
some solid suggestions about what the new language would need to look like
- drawing from ecological psychology, dynamic systems theory, and the like
- even though we couldn't commit on its final form. Much of the text can be
found here, and I'll get the full text if anyone is interested:
https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=TvgqAwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA127&dq=charles+andrew+sabrina+neuropragmatism&ots=F-EM6R_Zq1&sig=xa9EbE82QAxAXQVrtad64a-w6Ds#v=onepage&q=charles%20andrew%20sabrina%20neuropragmatism&f=false

The answer has to be something of the form: He is reconfiguring himself.

To the extent that he is "consciously thinking": He is responding to the
fact that he is reconfiguring himself. He is like a man "psyching" himself
up to lift a heavy weight, in that he has a "sense" of whether his body
(brain included) is ready for the task ahead or not.

To elaborate: Humans show a remarkable capacity to rapidly reconfigure into
different types of "task-specific devices" (TSDs). That is, we are well
tuned to (relatively) skillfully do one thing at one moment, and a
different thing at a different moment. After contemplation, our thinking
man is a different dynamic system than he was before, and he now connects
to the larger dynamic system of himself-in-his-environment differently than
he did before - he is sensitive to different variables, and responds to
variables differently than before. While physiological psychology covers a
wide range of systems, including hormonal systems, gut physiology, and
lymphatic response, such processes are generally slow, operating on the
scope of minutes to days. More rapid reconfiguration suggests
that alteration of neuronal mechanisms is the best explanation for the
changes observed during a typical bout of "thinking."

These changes in neuronal mechanisms are a key component in a change in the
habits (relatively predictable responses) one is prepared to display based
on surrounding events.

The question of self-awareness, then, is a question of how one re-cognizes
what one is predisposed to do. This relates to the issue of apparent
"higher-order" self-regulation by which one keeps one's self reconfiguring
until one is ready to act, or until some additional factor pressures
action. The principles that apply on that "higher" level, ought to be
expressible in the same terms as those which operate on the "lower" levels.
The skill of knowing when one is ready to answer a math problem, or give
the public speech, or drive to work, etc., should be viewed as equivalent
to the skill of knowing when one is ready to lift a given weight. Some
weights are light enough that one is essentially always ready, some are
close enough to the limits of one's ability that being (as much as is
possible) the right type of task-specific device is crucial, and still
other weights are so heavy that no amount of effort towards
rapid reconfiguration will suffice. So it is with solving math problems,
nailing a speech, or navigating dangerous roads in a vehicle.  I fully
acknowledge that lifting the near-limit weight will also rely on several of
those minute-scaled bodily changes (blood oxygen, adrenaline, etc.).
However, the key point is that whatever language we come to agree upon most
allow us to highlight the similarities between that situation and the more
typical examples of "thinking", rather than making it seem as if there is a
an uncrossable gulf between the two activities.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps
<echarles at american.edu>