[FRIAM] Santa Fe's Sugar Tax

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Apr 25 17:38:07 EDT 2017

Gil-

For what it is worth, I recommend that you buy local honey from a local
beekeeper, probably off the books, not subject to sugar (or any other
kind of) tax.  It will be much healthier for you (the local pollens help
with allergies, etc.) and will support a local economy well beyond the
$.02 that goes back into the local economy for any $1.00 you might spend
at a supermarket (even one as folksy/homey as Trader Joes).    There are
also locally grown raspberries and strawberries and even grapes (in
season) and lots of fruits (cherry, peach, apricot, plum, apples.
pears)...  And as much as I like my year round bounty of fresh fruits
and veggies imported from around the world (with gawd knows how much
inefficiency and product waste/spoilage) it is possible that we (of
northern Euro descent?) were evolved for a diet that varies with what is
available and might be healthier not to have the same continuous access
to foods rich flavor/fat/sugar year round?

The catch is that you will probably pay as much for all these as you
would for the "sugar-taxed" versions shipped in from another hemisphere
with artificial economies and hidden costs to the environment and
society.    But the extra will go to your friends and neighbor's who are
trying to make a living instead of Martinez's warchest or whatever might
be offensive about all this.

While I'm not big on government interference in matters such as this, it
might just be that it all balances out and rebalances the false
economies of subsidized (cheap oil/war) transportation and third-world
labor/production.   Maybe in these Trumpian times I'm just looking for
Silver linings and new recipes for Lemonade from Lemons?   Or living a
PollyAnna/PanGlossian delusion.

Just Sayin'

- Steve

PS.  Next time I get a jar of honey from my local apiarist, I'll grab
you one "on the house".