[FRIAM] bah!

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Apr 26 12:07:16 EDT 2017

Glen/Marcus -

Get a room!  (and finish writing that post-CyberPunk novel you just
outlined the tech concept for)!

Seriously...  When I first started reading proto-cyberpunk (PK Dick,
John Brunner, et al) and then the more familiar works of
Sterling/Gibson/Cadigan/Stephenson, et alia, I didn't believe we would
get *close* to most of that in my lifetime even though it was
Day-After-Tomorrow stories rather than a century and one or more
revolutions in physics (e.g. FTL travel) away.

I delivered my elder daughter to undergrad (pre-med) on the day they
announced Dolly-the-Clone.   All through her PhD and into her PostDoc in
Molecular Biology/BioMed she insisted there were "too many unknowns" for
most of the tech required in these BioHack/Cyberpunk stories until
CRISPR hit the world.   And modern Epigenetics.  And all the
contemporary implications of the microbiome on the individual.

It all really plays havoc with traditional ideas of identity. And that
is without prosthetics and other tech (rather than Bio) enhancements.

Who are we becoming?

The Amish are quoted as saying that when they consider adopting any new
tech, their question is "who will I become if I use this (or that)
technology?"    I doubt most of us Ainglish think to stop and ask such
questions.   I think this last round of observations here highlight that
in an interesting way.

- Steve