[FRIAM] bah!

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Apr 26 13:18:41 EDT 2017

What makes you think the "Whitelash" contingent won't be early adopters
(too)?

I was suckered into the MAD principle 40 years ago or more and it took
at least a decade at LANL (obliquely) helping with that mission (and the
fall of the Soviet Union and being in the semi-personal presence of the
Dali Lama and ???) for me to realize that it MAD might have just been
exactly what it sounded like a "mad" strategy?   We have survived it
(avoided cataclysm in any case) so far... but with US/PRK and gawd knows
what else (Syria/US/RU? - Israel/Iran) all  squaring off with a 4th
grade oligarch running one faction and a punk-ass macho oligarch running
another other and a bona-fide nutcase running the PRK, who knows what is
next?

Bio/Neuro/Computer tech is in an arms race for sure... maybe such races
are a given and can't be avoided, so the best plan is to try to come out
on top?  But I also have the vague feeling of "my headlights are too
dim, I'd better drive faster and get to my destination as soon as possible!"

I keep hoping for Vernor Vinge's "Bobbling" technology to appear and
kick us into a "anti-time-race" instead?

     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marooned_in_Realtime

A great (alternative) take on RK's Technological Singularity
Utopia/Dystopia.

- Steve