[FRIAM] Santa Fe's Sugar Tax

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 17:28:15 EDT 2017

Nobody seems to focus on the educational results which, I hope, are entailed
by the bill.  I don't care about the tax or how much sugar I consume but
everyone will benefit from wider access to pre-K.

Speaking of elitist, most of my friends are my age peers and have no young
children in their lives currently.  I live with our five-year old grandson.
Also, I just got a flyer that makes the following points:

1.       Kids who attend pre-K score higher in reading and math; are more
likely to graduate from high school.  [Possible hidden common cause]

2.     Pre-K for SF will create 200 jobs.

3.     Low income families will benefit the most. Private pre-K costs
12000-16000 per year.  [so it's non-elitist]

4.     The revenue will only be used for pre-K by ordinance.

5.     The City budget surplus comes and goes.  Pre-K is a recurring
expense.

[] = my observation

Frank

Frank C. Wimberly