[FRIAM] Trump Support

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Aug 3 16:40:55 EDT 2017

Glen -

Thanks for your analysis.

I suffer mightily on the axis of over-simplification to
over-complication.   I suffer it personally (making bad choices, mostly
biased toward complification) and by proxy (suffering friends and
colleagues who operate on some other region of that axes, often barely
overlapping (in a fuzzy distribution kinda way)).

Once Trump was in and his shenanigans started coming home to roost on
all of us (including the joke about Trumpsters shoothing themselves in
the dick because liberals hate it so much) I quit talking politics with
my Trumpsketeer friends.  Some of it is simple embarrassment for them.
When Trump was all promises (threats) and no action and even when his
actions hadn't produced (negative nor positive) results, I felt inclined
to debate the issues with them if only a little.  Now that the obvious
(and not so obvious) results are starting to hit the floor (like the
proverbial "other shoe" but from a millipede, not a biped), I guess I
recognize that I would be throwing good energy after bad to do so.

I DO occasionally debate (discuss?) with my friends/colleagues who I
know not to be taken in in any way at all by the Donald and his Cronies,
some of the unexpected consequences and some of the possible alternate
paths to a brighter future that nobody in their right mind could have
positioned us for as well as our Lunatic in Chief has.

I used to think of Trump as "a loose cannon on deck" and while I was
(mildly) happy to see *some* of the junk on deck cleared off by his wild
careening, I was worried about him snapping the masts, destroying the
wheelhouse, hulling and then knocking all the lifeboats overboard, etc.
I still worry a bit about all of that, but am finding him to be a much
"lighter weight" cannon than I feared.  He seems completely incapable of
picking a good enough strategy to get ANYTHING he seeks and he doesn't
have the followthrough to actually cash in on his occasional
(accidental/blundering?) successes.

For example, does our Brinksman in Chief puffing his chest and waving
his tiny fist at the Kleptocrat in Chief (Putin) and the WhackJob in
Chief (Kim Jung Un) somehow set the stage for a global nuclear
disarmament (or at least de-escalation)?   We have been running on (n
times over) MAD for many decades and we are finally faced with at least
one MAD actor with nukes whose use of same would trigger not Mutual
Destruction but Unilateral Destruction and Regional Disaster (wherever
Kim Jung might hurl his one (or two) Nukes?)  I'm pretty sure the Donald
(with the support of the Joint Chiefs) wouldn't blink at the prospect of
vaporizing the capitol and a few other choice locations with only the
mildest concession for not immediately harming SoKo or Japanese or
Chinese citizens.  Kaesong and Sinuiju being likely exempt due to their
proximity to these countries?

Another example is his rabid "tear down ObamaCare" leading us toward a
confrontation where Medicare-for-All or another version of Single-Payer
health care becomes inevitable?

And is his flat-earth Climate Denial scaring even those who believe in
it but won't acknowledge it for their own personal/business greed
interests?   Might the torch for this movement move significantly out of
Government hands?    Will there be a huge backlash swing as soon as the
Blue/Green folks can get control over the legislative branch again?
Trump can cause a LOT of trouble in 4 years perhaps, but the backlash to
his nonsense might very well recover greater than if he'd never mucked
things up?

Reminds me of the trick when arm-wrestling someone who is well matched,
of "pretending" to give way just a tiny bit and being able to overcome
the opponents dynamic strength more effectively than their static
strength.   It has been noted that the previous 8 years trained the
Republicans to be entirely reactive and obstructionist, and are now
having a huge problem doing anything actually constructive (especially
while watching their own back from the Trumpster and company).

I'm probably just singing my usual Pollyanna song here, but I guess I
really like the tune!

- Steve