[FRIAM] the self

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Aug 7 16:15:13 EDT 2017

On 8/7/17 12:24 PM, glen ☣ wrote:
> So, I read this the other day:
>
> The Promise of LSD Microdoses and Other Psychedelic "Medicines"
> https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/the-promise-of-lsd-microdoses-and-other-psychedelic-medicines/
>
> and was reminded of Frank's dare to read:
>
> The Analysis of the Self
> http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/A/bo8324792.html
>
> I subsequently forgot about it all.  But then this popped up:
>
> The Dangerous Delusions of Richard Dawkins
> http://www.alternet.org/belief/dangerous-delusions-richard-dawkins
>
> and:
>
> Predictably, Salon publishes a new Dawkins hit piece, and it’s as dreadful as you’d expect
> https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2017/08/07/predictably-salon-publishes-a-new-dawkins-hit-piece-and-its-as-dreadful-as-youd-expect/
>
> I still feel (over 2 decades after making a fool of myself during a lunch at the SFI) that the concept of "self" is the most abused concept of humanity's entire existence.  Everyone uses it so often and in so many ways that it's pert near meaningless, to someone like me, anyway.  What's amazing to me is that everyone can go along on their happy pretense that they've communicated something when they speak/write or hear/read the word.  It reminded me again of the appeal (to me) of Hoffman's Interface Theory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYp5XuGYqqY
>
> Anyway, I have no point.  Any comments/laughter are welcome. 8^)
Bwa HAHAHAHAHAHA haaaa...

    /wondering if maybe I should have tried a *micro* rather than a
    *milli*dose of psychopharmacuties before reading this!//
    //(or maybe I should have calculated in the amount of
    mold-spore-dust I've been inhaling in my remodel/cleaning projects?)/

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

( Note from/to Self:  "I think my grandiose self has taken possession of
my expressive body!")

Seriously (maybe?)...  I wonder if in any of our long-winded,
discursive, discussions about the meaning/use of words if we consider
the value of something analogous to/  tolerancing /in engineering?  It
is common to use the /analogy/ (I've learned not to invoke the concept
of metaphor too lightly in this group) of social /lubrication/, but I
think that /tolerancing/ may have a similar/equal/greater role in
allowing conversations to /clank forward/ toward some progress down /a
line/ of thinking/consideration if not always all the way to a specific
/destination/?

I expect "/SELF"/ to be a very sloppy term with most people... and at
best, highly varied in meaning amongst people for whom there is a
special slot in their more rigorous professional lexicon.

I suspect your question, as earnest as intended and as interesting as I
find it will lead us down a /rabbit hole/ (metaphor in a literary
allusion with allegorical implications?)  here.   I'm game for the
/journey/, but rather than /jump the gun/ (Satan of metaphor, get thee
behind me!) with too much of my own /clap-tripe/ (deliberate portmanteau
malapropism intended).

I'm hoping someone else will /bite/ on this topic before I /throw down/
with (more of) my own selve's nonsensery!