[FRIAM] Future of humans and artificial intelligence

Grant Holland grant.holland.sf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 01:38:03 EDT 2017

That sounds right, Carl. Asimov's three "laws" of robotics are more like
Asimov's three "wishes" for robotics. AI entities are already no longer
servants. They have become machine learners. They have actually learned
to project conditional probability. The cat is out of the barn. Or is it
that the horse is out of the bag?

Whatever. Fortunately, the AI folks don't seem to see - yet - that they
are stumbling all over the missing piece: stochastic adaptation. You
know, like in evolution: chance mutations. AI is still down with a bad
case of causal determinism. But I expect they will fairly shortly get
over that. Watch out.

And we still must answer Stephen Hawking's burning question: Is
intelligence a survivable trait?