[FRIAM] Future of humans and artificial intelligence

Grant Holland grant.holland.sf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 12:31:00 EDT 2017

Marcus,
Good points, all. I suggest you turn to the Copenhagen interpretation of
Quantum Mechanics (the "usual interpretation") for musings on your very
pertinent question about "Why probabilities in the physical world".
Although, I'm sure you have already looked there.
Of course, the Copenhagen guys (Heisenberg, Born, etc.) don't really try
to answer your question either - opting instead to say that theirs is
merely a theory, a model. And, of course, they are right.
On the other hand, other physicists (i.e. de Broglie, Bohm, Einstein and
others) have spent a century trying to defend causal determinism against
the Copenhagen interpretation. These days the defenders of the faith
have resorted to philosophy over this issue and are considering the
"ontic" versus the "epistemic". And yet, Copenhagen is still referred to
as "the usual interpretation", and when QM is taught today, I think, it
is essentially Copenhagen or some derivative of it. Perhaps Bell's
theorem has contributed to the longevity of the Copenhagen perspective.