[FRIAM] random v stochastic v indeterminate

Jenny Quillien jquillien at cybermesa.com
Wed Aug 9 10:56:58 EDT 2017

An excellent foray into such a topic is /Arrival of the Fittest: how
nature innovates/ by Andreas Wagner.

 From the Preface:  the power of natural selection is beyond dispute,
but this power has limits. Natural selection can /preserve/ innovations,
but it cannot create them. And calling the change that creates them
random is just another way of admitting our ignorance about it. Nature's
any innovations- some uncannily perfect - call for natural principles
that accelerate life's ability to innovate, its innovability.

Dave West turned me onto the book and has promised a discussion about
how it is relevant to 'evolution' in software. It is certainly relevant
to Nick's e-mail.

Jenny Quillien