[FRIAM] Classes, Complexity, and Functional Programming – Kent C. Dodds – Medium

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Aug 11 12:50:30 EDT 2017

It is really not a big change from classes.   If you already have objects, often all you have to change is that you return them.  Object-oriented languages implicitly have the notion of the object as a first argument, so you've got a container to work with.  The job of higher level code is to assemble and disassemble what is returned in a reasonable way.  Perhaps it involves folds/reductions or perhaps it is just bigger containers.  This gives a good (and, in FP, necessary) opportunity to think about how to manage dependencies.   And yes, you have to start thinking in terms of `custody' of objects rather than `ownership'.  One of the recent trends in web app development are `reactive' services.  These ideas came from the FP community.

Marcus