[FRIAM] random v stochastic v indeterminate

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 11 14:18:21 EDT 2017

Steve,

Thanks for staying with me on this.

To be honest, I have never encountered anybody who believed that natural
selection alone is capable of producing evolution, unless it was somebody
who includes some variation-generating mechanism within the notion of
natural selection.  I have encountered people who think that natural
selection is not NECESSARY to evolution, attributing most change to random
walks of various sorts.   I have never understood those folks, but they have
had their day.

The heresy I am trying to expunge is that in which evolution is understood
as "a delta-q in the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium", which amounts to saying,
natural selects whatever nature selects and whatever nature selects is
evolution.  Darwin would have been baffled by such a formulation.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson