[FRIAM] random v stochastic v indeterminate

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 12 08:56:24 EDT 2017

Steve,

Thanks for allowing me to sling irresponsible  insults at you with impunity.
It has been VERY helpful to my recovery.  You might consider opening a
clinic.

I considered calling "quantum randomness" "notional", but I wasn't sure WTF
I meant by that.  There's a dimension here I am groping to express.  Quantum
randomness and natural selection and gene are way out on that dimension as
things we believe in the concreteness of, yet they are far from our concrete
experience.  We experience them as foundations of our thought, yet we never
see them.  I guess the best I can say at this point is that something about
that makes me uneasy.

I want to push back on "evolution just is".  Evolution is a way, and not
other ways.  Evolution is more directly presented to experience than is
natural selection.  Natural selection is the very abstract idea that
resolves problems and paradoxes raised in Darwin's imagination by his
"experience" of evolution.   Just as "gene" is a "pseudo-concrete" idea
that resolves paradoxes and problems raised in Mendel's pea-patch.

I too am awaiting Dave's summary.  I have ordered the book from the library.
I wish I were there to take Dave's course. I am hoping that it will the
beginning of a great new career for him and he will decide to stay in Santa
fe.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson