[FRIAM] Classes, Complexity, and Functional Programming – Kent C. Dodds – Medium

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Sat Aug 12 12:20:49 EDT 2017

Great info, thanks.

A few constraints:
- I've finally gotten back to Write & Run JavaScript, no transpiling.
- My workflow also is simplified: only npm scripts possibly using a node
script.
- I run a local hot-loading node http server so Write & Run is automatic.
All managed by a npm script.

Why? The JS world went nuts for several years with transpiling, babel (for
es6/future JS features), task managers, linters etc. It was arguably
necessary for the times. I used CoffeeScript for a while mainly for safety
and pythonic syntax. But my peers said "Oh, great, *another* thing to
learn"! And they didn't. :)

Things are now hugely better, with editors that are very IDE-ish and eslint
built in, and the language is finally getting functional features like map,
reduce, and so on. The for loop? It's dead Jim. Yay.

So there is a return to sanity and a healing from JS "fatigue". Simple JS,
no task managers, and simple commands for minifying, linting, conversion to
node modules, and so on. Write & Run w/ chores as scripts.

Within that world, currently, is a very strong movement toward FP. Hence
the article starting this conversation. And my hope for incrementally
converting to FP.

   -- Owen

PS: My work is not very webby. Mainly a NetLogo lookalike for JS. No
install, just start up a page. I render using webgl which oddly enough has
a fairly nice language for the GPU, and Three.js eases much of the
verbosity of the CPU side.