[FRIAM] random v stochastic v indeterminate

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Aug 12 15:10:02 EDT 2017

your point about "point mutations" and non-connected spaces (not
connected by point mutations anyway) is well taken and is what I think
your last message that I was calling "latent" (expression) is about.

 From my daughter's sage anecdotal claims about Cancer,  it seems that
something like 7 independent cellular reproduction mechanisms have to
fail or be jiggered for cancer to emerge in healthy cells.   I don't
know if that literally means 7 independent mutations must occur
simultaneously or if more likely 7 have to "accumulate", which seems
more likely, and follows (I think) your example.   In the light of this
discussion, I should probably ask her for a more thorough description of
what she meant by all of that.

In the socio/political/religious/economic realm it seems that multiple
simultaneous mutations are more obvious to observe.   I think we see
humans mis-copy their memetic code (misinterpret their holy scriptures,
or their parents or masters teachings, etc.) very often and sometimes in
several dimensions at once. Perhaps the "robustness" of the underlying
unit (a human being) allows for such wild mutations (highly antisocial
behaviour by most measures) in a single copy, is what allows for what
seems like some fairly fast memetic evolution at the social level?

i'm probably reaching here, but in this petri dish that is the USA with
Trump or the first world with Trump, et al, or even the globally
connected (bits, atoms, virus particles, memes, oh my!) first, second
and third world there is likely to be some relatively unprecedented
mutations recognized and even selected for.  Some could say that Donald
Trump represents a half-dozen (or more) mutations in the
socio/economic/political code and yet HE WAS SELECTED FOR and is almost
surely malignant and seems to be metastasizing (other populist whitelash
fascist movements around the first world).  The question in this
metaphor might be whether the body (humankind) has the ability to fight
back against this? It fits my Candide/Pollyanna idea that times such as
these are good times to focus significant resources on simply "tending
your own garden".    The world will have a better chance of fighting off
this malignancy if it maintains it's overall health (social, economic,
spiritual) otherwise.   We can't let this malignancy weaken our immune
system any more than it already has.

buh,

  - Steve