[FRIAM] the Skeptical Meme

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Aug 13 15:12:47 EDT 2017

Glen -
> Ha! You see? That's not even wrong. 8^) But it's more plausible than asserting that my ideas are mutated and crossed over from ... yours ... or Szasz' ... or my mom's, for example.
What I'm trying to tickle apart here is what we do with the very idea
that you might have a psuedo-Szaszian perspective on psychology or that
you "are a Skeptic".

forget "meme", let's try "pattern" on in *at least* a semi-formal sense
like the Alexandrian idea of Pattern Languages?  And what of
"Alexandrian Patterns" ?    Whether that is a "meme" or a "pattern" or
just a "rose by any other name" is what I'm looking to get an
alternative grasp of...

If we admit patterns that can be copied, modified by intention or by
ignorance or by chance, and can even be mixed with other patterns, then
we have at least a partial registration in the target domain of
biological evolution/genetics.

I'm trying not to argue this from a perspective of persuading you, but
rather on "helping" you deconstruct the general idea that biological
evolution (based in Genetics) is in any way a model for social/cultural
evolution.  Or to deconstruct the more specifics of "memetics" and
replace it with something more prosaic but useful perhaps?

Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong three, maybe you are trying to tell me
(as I think Szasz tries to tell us about mental illness) that there is
no there there?

neither here, nor there,
  - Steve