[FRIAM] the Skeptical Meme

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Aug 14 02:02:21 EDT 2017

Glen writes:

"Innovative ideas do emerge. But it's never fast."

Well, the context you provided was struggling with a phobia, or some entrenched belief.

I don't really see why it is important if innovation is occurring or not.  What difference does it make if any one example is discovered on the spot, or synthesized from several tactics found in the rolodex?  Contrast to a person that is not growing such a rolodex over years or decades and is overwhelmed when they confront a different kind of situation.

I posit that the (supposed) anomie, the opioid abuse, organized racism, Trump, etc. are all just indicators of populations that have low mental plasticity due to living in a stable, unchallenged, low-opportunity environment.  The kind of environment that social conservatives create whenever given the opportunity -- like (sheesh) that it matters one iota the kind of sex one enjoys.   But their problem is not a spiritual or existential crisis.  Their desperation and rage just comes from a feeling that they can't confront, that they just don't have much to offer.

Marcus