[FRIAM] Fwd: Re: the Skeptical Meme

gⅼеɳ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 12:25:19 EDT 2017

Oops.  Accidentally sent this direct.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] the Skeptical Meme
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 09:24:17 -0700
From: gⅼеɳ <gepropella at gmail.com>
To: Marcus Daniels <marcus at snoutfarm.com>

Just to be clear, I don't disagree with some abstraction of "point mutations" on some thing other than a "meme", like a modal pattern of network activation.  It's the analogy between ideas and genes, I object to.

Where a fast mode switch (or any sync'ed evocation) is more than subjective lies in a shared, grouped, mode switch.  Let's say 2 people each have networks with 2 attractors, with no objective mapping between the 2 people or the 4 attractors or the underlying biological structures.  But if their mode switching is synchronized (P1.MA & P2.MB = P1.MB & P2.MA -- i.e. when person 1 enters mode A, person 2 enters mode B, and when person 1 enters mode B, person 2 enters mode A), then that synchrony is objective.  When I say "nuclear war", Sally feels anxiety and when Sally says "malware in the power grid", I feel anxiety, then our our synchronous mode-switching is objective, regardless of the payload/content or the underlying feeling.

It could also be "nuclear war" => Sally.hatred, "malware in the power grid" => Glen.anxiety.  But this is where my requirement for both me and Sally to have common physiological structures (neocortex, fingers, knees, etc.).  Having R2/D2 say "malware in the power grid" is not likely to give me any hint what R2/D2 might be thinking because its "physiology" doesn't mirror my own.  This (objective) reflection is required for the illusion of communication to obtain.

--
gⅼеɳ