[FRIAM] @fakedonaldtrump

gⅼеɳ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 18:59:11 EDT 2017

On 08/18/2017 01:24 PM, Steven A Smith wrote:
>> https://www.csc2.ncsu.edu/faculty/healey/tweet_viz/tweet_app/
> 15 minutes with this make me painfully aware of how much I'm not in tune with twitter culture... the tool seems pretty well made, but I found myself having  a hard time drawing meaningful conclusions (aside from looking for confirmation bias artifacts to glom onto)... the drilldown I did do made me realize that the pleasant/unpleasant axis wasn't what I thought it would be.   The system doesn't seem to take into account (double?) negatives?   Someone railing positively about taking Trump down appears to contribute to the quad-chart plot in roughly the same way as one praising him.

Sentiment analysis is a strange thing.  What's the "law"? ... Is it Poe's Law?  Good satire is indistinguishable from authenticity?  Or something like that.  One can adopt a very positive *affect* about very negative things.  Given your admission that you find morbid things fascinating, I thought replying with sentiment analysis would be appropriate.

Personally, I find black humor is poised on a very thin edge, which makes those who are good at it geniuses.  It's the same with sarcasm and snark.  Pedestrian black humor is very irritating.  But when it's done right, it carries just the right balance of poignancy and banality.  In contrast, tag clouds are antiseptic and devoid of any humanity.
>> Here are some other tools:
>> https://blog.bufferapp.com/free-twitter-tools
> I tried to dig in a little but as I felt frustrated by the implied bias in the nature of the tools I realized the list was labeled as "for Marketing" which (with my own bias) seems to be what most social media tools exist for, to make us all in to better (more malleable?) consumers.

Ahhh.  But "branding" is the Trumpian essence.  Trump is nothing *but* a brand.  And, as our psych friends keep telling us, his narcissistic tendencies reflect that.  There is no "there" there.  There is only posturing and marketing.  So, what better to understand Trump, *but* tools for marketing?

--
gⅼеɳ