[FRIAM] scanning an old manuscript

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Sun Dec 3 16:21:01 EST 2017

Under the assumptions

1. The 400 pages are unbound, or can be freed of a binding, and
2. The type script is pretty clean; i.e., it is not the 8th copy of a
copy of a xerox or the 4th carbon copy,
I can scan it for you. My scanner scans 25 sheets (50 sides) a minute,
so it should take less than ten minutes.

The OCR will probably take up to an hour. I can send the result
electronically, obviously.

The OCR is the ABBYY Fine Reader, which appears to be the embedded OCR
engine in most products that support OCR, including a number of IOS
programs. It is quite good if the typescript is clean and sharp.

There are inexpensive iPhone apps that go from the camera to an OCRed
PDF, but I bet it wouldn’t take too long for you to conclude saving a
quarter every 20 seconds is not really a good deal, and then you would
need software to merge 400 independent  PDF files into a single file.

--Barry