[FRIAM] More on Metaphor, WAS: firefox and memory

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 9 12:03:55 EST 2017

Given that he seems to be posting from a British university, he very well
*could* have a bursar under his saddle.

Yes.  But since he is posting from Australia, it is probably a burr.

I have often puzzled over this metaphor, even while using it.  Notice that,
unlike your ".wild hare." [trying to be a bit delicate, here], it actually
speaks to the restlessness of the horse, rather than the rider.  So, to have
a burr under one's saddle, is to be riding an uncontrollable horse, not to
be out of control oneself.   So, technically, the republican party has a
burr under its saddle but trump has a wild hare, etc. [trying to be
delicate, here]. Still, to have a rider with a wild hare, on a horse with a
burr under its saddle, is, well, just bad government.

But I don't know how it is in Australia.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

FRIAM-COMIC  <http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/>
http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/ by Dr. Strangelove