[FRIAM] Narrating Complexity

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Tue Dec 19 23:23:01 EST 2017

David,

Distributed hash tables comes to mind.   After Napster and BitTorrent it became a popular area of research.  Let academics hold onto a specialty, they will happily do so their entire career.  The field will become inpenetrable without a community of professors that feed their carefully-indoctrinated students into the pool of workers in the field.  Conversely, when feasible, it is useful to wade into their community and take their tools or their people.  The diversification of the field of functional programming into industry is one example, as well as SQL.

Marcus