[FRIAM] Climate Change

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Fri Dec 29 14:16:38 EST 2017

Thank you, I do appreciate.

Let me start with my background. I have done modeling for predictions in
engineering applications as a major part of my professional career of 40
years. I am now doing deep learning for making predictions. (Not
necessarily relevant to this discussion, but I do combine ABM to get the
emerging properties of the system as part of the deep learning exercise - a
very exciting endeavor).

In my career, I have made many technical mistakes. I guess this is part of
making predictions based on models. I do not have any climate modeling
expertise, but I do measure their success in the accuracy of the model's
predictions.

In 1990 the IPCC predicted a temperature increase of 0.3 degrees centigrade
per decade. In 2014 they reported an actual increase of 0.05 degrees
centigrade for the previous 15 years.

Maybe they are right in their new disaster predictions? IMO it would give
them some credibility if they admit the uncertainties.