[FRIAM] Climate Change

Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri Dec 29 14:18:51 EST 2017

Hi Peter,

By all means.  I do not intend either aggression or even disrespect toward anybody who will argue any position honestly and in good faith.

The thing that I was attacking below, and which I think needs to be regarded as an existential threat, is what I interpret as coordinated acting in bad faith.  By that I mean a sort of dishonesty of motive, where the real motive is not at all the wellbeing of anybody on the receiving end.  Many tactics go into that: deception, bullying, impoverishment, and more overt things.

We have a crisis of bad faith in many dimensions, certainly in this country with which I am most familiar, but perhaps more widely.  There is no statement that only means what it claims to be about.  Any statement, with a dishonest motive, can be used for a purpose that isn’t what it claims to be about.  That is on the sending end.  On the receiving end, when there is a belief that all senders act in bad faith (whether or not that blame is earned), the receiver can choose to reject any statement, no matter how good its content is capable of being.

We are in a bad downward spiral in that exchange.  There is enough usage in bad faith that in some cases it justifies the cynicism of listeners, and in many more cases, it gives their cynicism a convenient rationalization.  On the other side, when people give up thinking they have agency, but remain alive, cynicism and rejection and a general destructiveness can be a recourse to sinking just into frustration.  I think those choices are mistakes, but I don’t think they necessarily deserve blame, and they certainly warrant an attitude of helpfulness and committed caring.

Anybody who picks up a tool with the intention of genuinely helping others, and having the humility to understand that it is hard to know how to do that, but necessary to keep trying, is eligible to be a comrade of mine.

All best,

Eric