[FRIAM] Climate Change

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 31 12:03:09 EST 2017

Hi, Pieter,

Thanks for this thoughtful post.

What are the properties of good GroupThought:  i.e., Group Thought that is likely to survive experience into the deep future?

The italicized bit is actually a definition both of “good” and “objective”.  Peirce asserts that this is what we MEAN when we say that thought is good and results are objective.  We MEAN that they are likely to survive future experience: ie,  that the experiences we have (experiments that we do) in the future are unlikely to dislodge them.  Or as Peirce puts it, an objective fact is proposition that does not depend on whether you, or I, or any other particular individual or groups believe it.  His is a statistical model.  The coin that is flipped a thousand times and comes up roughly 50 percent is more likely to be drawn from a population of fair coins than from a population of unfair coins, and one’s confidence rises as the size of the sample increases. Similarly, the coin that comes up fair when it is flipped under a variety of circumstances – replications in different labs.  And yes, statements made about a coin which, when flipped, we have no idea whether it came up heads or tails are unlikely to endure.

The Congregation has heard all of this from me before and are beginning to roll their eyes as we speak.  I am an alert vampire, and I sense that you are new blood.   Thanks for listening, if, indeed, you are still with me.

All the best,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/