[FRIAM] on the obustness of globalism

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Feb 2 09:45:42 EST 2017

> Homo sapiens dramaticus
And we *wonder* at why we live in such a polarized society?

I learned early in life that if a canoe is tipping to one side, you
don't lean out the other, you drop to the bottom center, lower your
center of gravity.   Why is that so hard in sociopolitical contexts?
Unless you want to tip into the drink!

The point of paddling a canoe is to explore and enjoy the world, so you
don't want to spend it huddled in the bottom.  I suppose the
sociopolitical equivalent is maintaining a moderate/centrist stance on
*everything*.

Maybe it is a bad metaphor.