[FRIAM] SFI to Trump: The dangers of simplicity in a complex world

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 4 15:54:57 EST 2017

Owen,

No, NO!  You don't understand!  The whole goal of the right since Nixon has
been to "problematize" reason.  Reason has become a position in the
argument, where once it was the basic structure of argument.  And yes, "we"
did make the first move in the sixties with "our" "Don't trust anybody over
30!"  As usual, the left innovates and the right executes. I highly
recommend that you all read a little book, Forman, James D., Fascism: The
Meaning and Experience of Reactionary Revolution.  Dell, 1978.  It is a very
concise and well written review of all the fascist movements of the first
half of the 20th century.  It concludes with the following bit of Whistling
in the Dark.

"The United States . is not fertile fascist ground.  .[B]ut the radical
right does not lack for an issue.  Today it is civil rights and the black
man.  Thrusting ahead energetically, he is making progress.  He has his
dedicated organizations and he has his hope for the future.  Opposed and
threatened is the white working class man stuck at a certain income level in
a tedious job without much prospect of improvement.  He sees the black man
coming on at his expense, and this, rather than communism, is likely to be
the basis for the rightist extremism of the future.  Some have called it the
"New American Dilemma," and such a dilemma is apt to simmer for a long time
without overturning the society or the government.  The danger in the United
states is less from torch light-parading Fascists of the old school than
from the apathy of well-meaning citizens."

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/>