[FRIAM] SFI to Trump: The dangers of simplicity in a complex world

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sun Feb 5 15:04:37 EST 2017

Frank writes:

< I don't know about economic equality but they've reduced their embrace of intellectual equality.  The public is no longer welcome at their colloquia "without an invitation".  Only "community events" are available to others. >

Years ago (maybe not now), it depended on the resident faculty as much as the management.   Some had graduate students and postdocs that were tightly-knit and really only had a public facing side in so far as they were pushing out papers.   Other faculty were very focused and productive and had few if any junior staff.  Still others very much liked entertaining students and colleagues from other universities and even the public.   My perception was there was a bias towards the last type of person so much so it got in the way of SFI's ability to do research.   If you didn't participate in the wining and dining, the dog and pony shows, or the educational outreach, you were at risk, even if there was some other external dimension on which you were a very visible part of the organization.  Further, my perception was that the wining and dining arm of the organization didn't really have a clear picture of the other ways in which the institute did outreach, or care.   They only could understand the one they were responsible for, and they viewed it as very much a top-down thing, where most of the researchers weren't at the top.

If there has been a change, I suspect it is more toward reducing distraction, and keeping the signal/noise ratio high.   They want/need their official visitors to go away happy with their time there, and having all manner of random people around makes it harder to present the image they want.   (I don't mean that in a cynical way, but you can reasonably take it that way if you want.)

Marcus

I don't know about economic equality but they've reduced their embrace of intellectual equality.  The public is no longer welcome at their colloquia "without an invitation".  Only "community events" are available to others.

Frank Wimberly, PhD
                                    \I don't usually do this

Phone (505) 670-9918