[FRIAM] National Constitution Center

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 5 15:05:57 EST 2017

every President signs a specific directive - for Bush it was Directive
51 - that designates one specific person who can decide the
succession. Normally they would follow constitutional directives but
can "skip" over someone in the sequence who they deem "unfit."
Normally this would come into play only in extreme situations - like a
bomb taking out the capital during a joint session / state of the
nation address kind of thing.

dave west