[FRIAM] Santa Fe Folks : Recycling Carts

Owen Densmore owen at backspaces.net
Wed Feb 8 20:55:19 EST 2017

Sorry to be provincial, but though this Nextdoor announcement might be
useful to locals:

https://saintjohnscollege.nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=42343475&s=&is=npe&ct=36sdSlzeamiOJxqMpMbqLEaAP7xgpM6cPRR3uQT0Nhf_8cXKwaSt4syinUd_MMl4&mobile_deeplink_data=action%3Dview_post%26post%3D42343475&link_source_user_id=14149504

Automated Recycling Questions Answered (I hope!)
<https://saintjohnscollege.nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=42343475>Outreach
Coordinator Adam Schlachter
<https://saintjohnscollege.nextdoor.com/profile/13148043> from City of
Santa Fe Environmental Services
<https://saintjohnscollege.nextdoor.com/agency/14929972/>· 2h ago

If you haven’t yet heard, Santa Fe’s recycling program is changing this
coming March. Automated recycling carts will be delivered starting March
13th, replacing the old style bins that Santa Fe has used for the last 20
years. It will take approximately three (3) weeks to get the entire City
switched over to carts and we are working on the distribution plan as we
speak! With the new carts come some other changes to the program. We have
outlined the new recycling information below:

What can I recycle curbside when I get my new cart?

So much can be recycled at the curb in Santa Fe! Paper, cardboard,
boxboard, plastic containers, aluminum cans, steel cans, and cartons can
all be mixed together in your cart. Before long you may notice you have
much more in your recycling cart than in your trash cart; that’s what we
like to see! Place your recyclables loose in your cart (empty containers
and bottles and replace caps/lids, flatten boxes); it really is that easy
to make a difference that matters.

Unfortunately, glass will no longer be accepted curbside after the new
program begins. We will provide recycling collection centers around town to
accept glass, as wells as cardboard and mixed recycling.

Do I need to separate anything else?

Once you have your cart, there is no need to separate anything accepted for
curbside collection, just empty containers and bottles then replace
caps/lids, flatten boxes, and you are good to go. It’s that easy!

Remember that glass is not accepted in the curbside recycling mix. Take
your glass to a recycling collection center.

Why can’t I put glass in my cart?

Our processor does not accept glass in the single-stream mix, nor they do
they have the equipment required at their MRF. The closest facilities that
could process single stream recycling w/glass were in Colorado and using
either one of them would have cost several million dollars. Additionally,
the cost of running two (2) routes, automated for mixed recycling and
manual for glass, would also have added significant costs. Ultimately
recycling collection centers made the best economic sense for Santa Fe
residents.

So what happens to the glass we take to the recycling collection centers?
Will it get recycled?

Yes! All of the glass that City residents drop-off at the recycling
collection centers will be recycled here in Santa Fe. The Solid Waste
Management Agency crushes the glass and it is made available locally for
landscaping, used in regional construction projects and sold to a
manufacturing company in Albuquerque that makes products from recycled
glass.

What should I do with my old recycling bin(s)?

We encourage residents to use their old recycling bins to transport glass
to the recycling collection centers. If you don’t need or want your bins,
you can place them into your cart where they will be recycled or you can
drop them off at our offices on Siler Road where we will repurpose or
recycle them.

How are all the items in my cart separated for recycling?

Modern facilities that sort recycling are called Materials Recovery
Facilities (MRF), and they use mechanical sorting equipment that separates
each type of material in the mix; this is commonly referred to as
“single-stream” recycling. Once these materials are separated, they are
baled and sold to recyclers and manufacturers that use them to create new
materials.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you still have questions.