[FRIAM] Naïve physics question

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 15 03:36:56 EST 2017

All—

Can I piggy back on to Gary’s question with one of my own.  Much more naïve.
Even tho I am an ardent conservationist, I believe that claims for energy
saving from light bulbs that don’t spill heat only approach truth in the
warmest parts of our country.  Where yearly annual temperature average is
less than human comfort, the cost from heat loss from incandescent bulbs is
compensated by a diminishment in the cost of heating by other means.  This
works particularly well with a reading lamp, which is warming you while it
lights you.  Now in summer, the loss of heat from bulbs is actually a very
bad thing because it has to be compensated for with airconditioning.  But
summers in most of the country are way shorter than winters.

I am sure I am going to get some sort of a lecture on the second law, here.
Spilled heat from inefficiently deployed light sources is STILL more
expensive than heat directly extracted from gas or oil.  Not sure how to
think about that.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/>