[FRIAM] Why depth/thickness matters

Vladimyr Burachynsky vburach at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 15 17:51:39 EST 2017

I am an iconoclast as a consequence of trying to use statistical modelling during earlier stages of my life. zThese statistical models were generally very poor when applied to field work in animal distributions until someone accepted that truth and started admitting "clumpiness in distributions".

Then after a time in engineering studying simulations of material behaviour and failure I realized that the models we were using were based on unreal assumptions again.

In FEM studies we used convenient algorithms to model stress distribution across discreet very small elements based on older concepts and only approximated reality
to various levels. These approximations were often mistakenly assumed to constitute a "reality" by novices. In part because no engineer was prepared for Quantum Mechanics. They still used Hooke's laws where ever possible.

Representation is simply a tool to facilitate exploration of Dynamical systems. Representation should always be prepared to adapt when needed. Like sharpening a steel blade every so often.
The iconoclast in me loves sharp tools and every Monday morning I instructed my team to clear their benches and methodically sharpen tools.
Just because you sharpened a tool on Monday don't expect it to be sharp on Thursday unless it was idle.
Eventually all knives wear down and need to be replaced. Representation is only an ideal target used only as long as it is functional.
I do not dispute the value of good representational models but accept that they may not always be appropriate.

I look to biology and its solutions as having a temporal legacy far back in time but even evolution fails occasionally. Death seems the reward for guessing wrong.

Biology does seem to be a cheapskate recycling shitty solutions very often and does not seem to care about occasional extinctions.

As long as the advocates of representational models acknowledge their place in the real world we can tolerate each other.
vib