[FRIAM] Naïve physics question

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Feb 15 19:54:53 EST 2017

Nick -

The thing that might not be obvious is that Frank's *electric* bill went
down.  If he were heating *with* electricity, the difference might not
be as significant...  I suspect his (gas?) heating bill is a similar
number of BTUs down,  they are just cheaper BTUs than ones coming out of
electric resistive elements (including incandescent bulbs).

Also, ceiling fixture lighting tends to heat the *ceiling* which only
helps much with the overall heating of the space if you have a 2 story
house and you are talking about the ground floor lights.  Unless you use
*heat lamps* with good reflectors directing the IR into the room (not
dissipating it in the fixture).

I actually buy 125W infrared bulbs to go into certain fixtures in my
house for the very reason you describe earlier... one of these as a
reading light over my shoulder (or hanging from my first floor ceiling)
not only adds BTUs to my house in general but increases the comfort in
the chair I am sitting in, allowing me to be comfortable even if the
space is lower than usual.   My solar system works pretty well
throughout all the months except Dec/Jan and a little Nov/Feb, so during
those months I crank a lot of firewood through my woodstoves and put in
my IR bulbs in a few choice locations.  I used to use an electric
mattress pad as well...   The net cost of these was pretty small
compared to using electric space heating...

The rules of conservation of energy (physics not sociopolitical) are
pretty simple, but the detailed implications of *comfort* and
*economics* are a bit more subtle.

- Steve