[FRIAM] FW: Fractal discussion Landscape-bird songs

glen ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 16:25:41 EST 2017

Well, to be clear, my comment was intended to agree with Vladimyr's point that I kinda like being _deluded_.  When you finally remove all the meaning from the math notation and just manipulate the markings, it can be very hypnotic.  What would otherwise seem to be meaningless syntax takes on a meaning of its own, regardless of any _symbolic_ intent.  (We _can_ coherently ask the question "What is it like to be a zombie".)  We can hold both [non-]Platonic positions, because that state depends on the context.  Remove all the a priori symbolism, and I become a Platonist.  Ground even a single term and I become a constructivist.

As for being in the zone socially, I disagree, though I don't particularly care about any jargonal co-option of the term.  During hearty arguments, mostly with religious people, I definitely lose myself in exactly the same way I lose myself after that 3rd mile when running.  I have no illusions that my zone is in any way shared by the people I'm arguing with, though ... no more than I think you and I share internal constructs mediated by the word "blue".

I enjoyed Eric's comment on representation precisely because I can't quite buy into the idea that we rely so heavily on "symbolic reference".  It relies way too much on the assumption that what goes on in our head is anything like what goes on out there in the ambience.

--
☣ glen