[FRIAM] FW: Fractal discussion Landscape-bird songs

Robert Wall wallrobert7 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 16:44:18 EST 2017

> Anyway, so I disagree with the idea that society, as a group, can't be "in
> the zone". But I believe that the thoughts inside the members of the
> society are not really _shared_ thoughts. The societal groove does not
> depend on isomorphic relationships between the insides of the members'
> heads. (holography again) And the extent to which individuals' grooves map
> to societal grooves is unclear (and probably complex).

I did get your email, and my takeaway of what you said seems to be
summarized in your concluding paragraph above from that post.  Then, to be
constructive at seeking understanding, couple that with the quote I used to
introduce my last post and perhaps we can examine where there is a better
meeting of the minds on the topic of* being in the groove* at the level of
a society.

It's a mistake to infer that the complicated spaces (the deluded people's
> minds/brains/bodies/culture) are the same just because their projections
> (the things they say and do) are the same.

The last quote, to me, says that a group acting toward a common goal in,
say the way an individual in that group would, does *not *imply that the
"symbolic references" used to act rationaly in the world are all in align
or even perhaps in synchopation under an fMRI. YES! I can agree with this.
And I don't think that I disagreed.  Our symbolic references are only how
we have objectified the world since birth.  Even if aligned--highly
unlikely--we have individual free will and intentionality to determine out
behavior.  This can explain how folks sometimes come across knowing how to
appear moral and how to game morality at the same time toward less moral
goals. The Pope recently implied it is better to be an atheist than a a
crappy Christian <http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/world/pope-atheists-again/>.
I think he was referring to being committed in mind and action. Apparently,
in his view, this doesn't seem to be happening at the level of society as a
whole.

And I do even agree with you that there are examples of goups that do act
as if with "one mind" and even benevolently.  Market-oriented co-ops are
such a phenomenon, which I discussed in another thread, especially with
Marcus who seemed to see these as an bane to society as unmanaged
enterprises, which they are not. Perspective is sharpened by exposure.  My
company transitionsed to an ESOP, but the intended economic benefit was
eventually corrupted by the management team that used this preferred
organizational form to basically enrich themselves at the expense of what
the ERISA originally intended--cooperative, community-oriented corprorate
behavior.  Stakeholders in the welfare of the community. At the grassroots,
it was enything but a co-operative.  It was a vehicle to enrich the
corporate management. But where it works, it is beautiful.

But I do kind of see where a "meeting of the minds" between us may have
been derailed here about what we each mean concerning *being in the zone*"
at a level of society.  And I fault myself for this in joining the
underlying threaded thoughts late, perhaps, and not being more clear in the
distinctions. It has to do with the phrase "as a whole."  I will use
market-oriented co-ops again as a useful example to make my point a bit
more clear. Cooperatives cannot seem to take root here in this country
[e.g., public banks] because of another blocking cultural, Hayekian meme:
"a free market under capitalism will save us all." This meme has been
forcefully in play for the last thirty-five years with it's high priest
being Milton Friedman and the Chicgo School of Economics.  What have been
the results?

Which of these memes could be equivalent to Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's [and
I don't mean to push this guy forward, but only this idea] Optimal
Experience at the level of society as a whole: (1) profit-driven
coorporatism or (2) community-oriented cooperatism?  First off, I am
exclusively talking about the behavioral end that leans toward what is good
for society--the whole tribe, such that the tribe benefits in an
egalitarian sense. Arguably, as a tribe we are not moving in any such
direction. But there are pockets of co-operative behavior like we saw at
Standing Rock.  But, what happened?  The pipe got laid anyway and the
planet weeps. Your take on "effective altruism" is another example, I
think, of how we as a society would rather game the moral landscape to give
the illusion of being "for the people." I really do not mean to be so
pessimistic and my analysis will hopefully bear this out.

What this comes down to is this. To be *in the zone* at the level of a
society as a whole in a similar way as could happen at the level of an
individual--such that we would say there is a Flow characterized as an
Optimal Experience, we would NOT expect there to be an alignment of
symbolic references.  Precisely the opposite, if we are to regard the
thoughts of the many philosophers and linguists on this topic to be wise.
What we would expect instead is the *supersession* of our language-based
symbolic references with something akin to Intuition or Empathy ...
something beyond words such that wisdom emeges on the scale of a society
[and why I use capitalization of those terms]. So far, anyway, I do not see
this as being not only possible, but not evident.

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi says that being in the zone seems to occur when an
individual has both great skill and great challenge in a particular area.
When Flow happens, it is when the Self tends to evaporate from
consciousness and there is only the task. The individual is said to be
empathically connected with [in love with] the work: artist of all stripes
"feel" this.  Therefore, I say that this *cannot *happen at the level of a
society as a whole when the majority of individuals are only trying to game
the other players in that society.

We have not as a whole or on many individual levels been able to supercede
the animal. Nietzsche was not hopeful.  Begson was, sort of, and says this
will be eventually possible when we--presumably as a species--evolve to a
level where the Intuitive matches the Intellect in dominance.

I hope that this is a bit more clear, but to address you question directly
now, I am not in disagreement with you--never was--but also I stand firm on
what I meant, with which you said you are dubious. But maybe that was a
matter of talking past one another.  A language-based phenomenon.
*Intent *distinguishes
the phenomena of *being in the zone*.   *Scale *distinguishes the level of
its achievement. To be sure, symbolic references have little to nothing to
do with the kind of* being in the zone* to which I was referring. It's kind
of like what Timothy Gallwey was trying to convey in his book *The Inner
Game of Tennis*.  Thinking is gone.