[FRIAM] FW: Fractal discussion Landscape-bird songs

Robert Wall wallrobert7 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 22:14:13 EST 2017

>  (This is why Csikszentmihalyi's concept of "flow" is useless and annoying
> to me.)  It's pure nonsense to talk of mind at all.  So, it's nonsense to
> say that societies act as if with one mind.

Wow!  Try to be consistent at least.  Eh?  Who is saying that except you
with your previous groupthink examples?  Not me. That was my point.  They
can't.  The "as if" was the key.  The "as if" alludes to the behavioral
manifestation. Yes?

And, you seem to be easily annoyed and this is just one example with this
latest load of shit you have dropped on my attempt to explain.  I notice
that you seem to use the words "useless" and  "nonsense" [usually with the
adjective *utter *] a lot when you post replies.  Not sure if you mean to
be insulting or annoying, but you achieved it here this time. Another
backhand strike? So, you lost me half way through this reply. A sense of
hopelessness set in very early.

In a strange way, though, throughout this whole thread, you actually make
my point.  Thanks!  Language can be a problem.  Symbolic reference.
Imprecision. But the bottom-line is that I feel you really didn't (even try
to) understand anything I said, and, apparently, I don't really understand
anything you have said in as much as I have tried.  And I am not sure it is
because of the imprecision of language, though. It is something else that
leads you to just find disagreement.  As often said, it is much easier to
sound smart by tearing something down than to constructively build on
something. Maybe that applies here.  Not sure. Hope not.

Just taking the example of my "superseding the animal," I am talking about
superseding our "animal nature" and not talking about our distinctiveness
with other animals in terms of accomplishments or anything else like that.
How did you come up with that?!  I thought the context would have made what
I was saying abundantly clear.

Actually, in this, humans are both the same and distinctive from other
animals, but not in the way you counter, which is arguably a non-sequitur.
This from* Psychology Today*: Not So Different: Finding Human Nature in
Animal Nature
<https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animal-emotions/201605/not-so-different-finding-human-nature-in-animal-nature>
 (2016):

The big take-home message is that the emotional drives and instincts of
> humans and other animals are remarkably similar. Where things become very
> different -- and we have to admit that modern humans live very differently
> than other animals -- is when those drives and instincts interact with the
> social environment <https://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/environment> to
> create behavior. Since humans have an exceedingly complex cultural history
> that is additive over the generations, that is a very different social
> milieu in which our drives give rise to behaviors. But the drives
> themselves are not so different.

So my bringing other animals into the discussion could be considered an
insult to all other animals.  Yes, we are actually distinctive, but to my
point, in our behavioral differences with these other animals. Animals are
incapable of evilness in the same way that we say humans can be evil. I am
sure, for example, that the author of the article titled "Man's more
enlightened, Human Nature versus our "more animal than human nature
<http://www.spaceship-earth.org/PoS/Enlightened_human_nature.htm>" would
have understood what I was talking about in the context of this discussion
(it's not difficult to find other examples of others wondering how to get
society to stop shitting in their nest, so to speak.  And, we are arguably
approaching a time where we need an answer.):

Why is the world in such a terrible state, with so much crime, corruption,
> violence, injustice, material and spiritual poverty, and in general such a
> shameful testament to man's capacity for evil, indifference and stupidity?
> Notwithstanding that many of us - for the moment, at least - lead such
> pleasant and privileged lives.
>

> Things were no better in the past either; in many ways they were even
> worse (not for the privileged few, perhaps, as now, but certainly for the
> majority). The history of "civilisation", from its very beginnings to the
> present, not withstanding its great achievements, has largely been the
> history of violent conflict, injustice and of man's inhumanity towards and
> exploitation of his fellow man.

> Having an answer to this most important (and vital) of questions is
> essential if we are to meet man's most pressing challenge: the creation of
> diverse, just, humane, peaceful and *sustainable* human societies on our
> finite and vulnerable planet, *Spaceship Earth*.

> The answer, in fact, has been staring us in the face for more than 100
> years: since the publication of Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and
> the scientific recognition of man's animal origins. Although lip service is
> paid to this most profound piece of scientific knowledge, for all
> practical, political, social, economic and ecological purposes we have yet
> to face up to it.

This short opinion article is an emulation of what I have been trying to
explain to you but perhaps it does a much better job at explaining it. Give
it a go ...  Utter nonsense? Annoying?

At this point, not only do I think that Flow can *not *likely be achieved
at the level of a society as a whole, I do not now think that there can be
a meeting of the minds between us in this discussion.  Where I look in the
crevices where can find agreement--in spite of the imprecision of the
symbolic references that can pepper language--you, line by line here even,
have looked for disagreement only.  On an intuitive level, we do not seem
to be the same social animal.  Not a social crime, of course, unless you
are just "gaming" me with some unnecessary display of intellectual peacock
feathers; but regretfully I see no way to make headway [e.g., congruity of
thought] here as it seems clear that we seem to have very opposing
objectives in this discussion.

I, nor Csikszentmihalyi, will annoy you no further ...